Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Best Nest

We have finally confirmed our travel plans, received approval and we're off to Manila in 18 days and counting. It's a daily roller coaster of emotions ranging from excitement, anticipation, anxiety, stress and fatigue. It's been a challenge to be as detailed as possible when forecasting the week for Grandma and our two babysitters while we are gone. Who knew that planning a week of logistics for two little fellas could be mentally draining?

With that, I have been "nesting." Our pantry looks so organized it could be in a home magazine and our linen closet looks like Martha Stewart paid a visit (thanks Melissa). All for the ease of adaptation when the baby comes home.

We'll get a glimpse of the baby's current nest, aka orphanage, while we are there. Our travel plans begin with spending our first two nights at the orphanage. This is to acclimate her to us and us to her. I often wondered about that throughout the process; do they just hand her over to us immediately after she meets us? Fortunately the answer is no, for the sake of the baby, but being cognizant too, of her current caregivers. They have invested their hearts into her just as much as we have. I am sure the separation will be emotional for everyone involved.

One of my favorite stories growing up was by P.D. Eastman called "The Best Nest". This classic is now in our boy's library collection and I am looking forward to reading the story to the baby. We hope to provide the best nest; everything we can provide for her she wouldn't otherwise been able to have. And who knows, maybe one day she will sing like I did when I was younger, "I love my house, I love my nest, in all the world, my nest is best."

5 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you and your family, Tracy. I can't wait for you to meet her and bring her home. I know you will have a great trip, and the boys will do just fine! Congratulations on the soon-to-be new addition! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trace -- I love reading this! I am so, so excited for all of you. That is one lucky litte girl who is getting you as a mom! Can't wait to see some photos of you guys when you get her back. Good luck on your trip and on the acclimation process.

    Becky Watt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, all of this is so true Tracy. Isn't the entire process so crazy...it is so difficult to process. Excitement - but so many other difficult emotions to go with it. What a blessing this little girl will be to your wonderful family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Somehow, I'm not at all surprised at how organized your home is...I'm sure it looked gorgeous and like a model home even before your "nesting"! You are a beautiful writer, I can't wait to hear more as your week goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting for you and your entire family! All our best wishes and prayers to you, your family and the new little addition. Safe journey...you are all in our thoughts. Keep posting!

    ReplyDelete


Warming Up to Us

Not Crazy About Meeting Us

Baby Party1

Baby Party2

Bruce-The Orphanage's Pet Bird

Walking During Baby Party

My Old House

At ICAB

Las Day at Orphanage

Colin and Che at American War Memorial